Friday, January 13, 2012

Heat Exhaustion

Last night, I suffered from heat exhaustion.  It was horrible.  After a dreadfully hot day out, I felt sick, constantly thirsty and didn't know what to eat.  I was tired - but not tired - and had the trots.  It was a horrible feeling.  I drank almost a full pot of tea, all of my Ginger and Mineral Water Drink and another two 500ml of water on top of the other two I had drunk that day.  
On top of all of that, the bins outside my place - which were supposed to have been collected that day - stunk to high heaven all night.  So, I was out there at midnight with a can of Glen-20 spraying every last one to keep the smell at bay; thank Gods that worked!  But I still couldn't sleep.  So, I used up my last two Gastrolyte pills and finally got to sleep at around 1am.
At 5:30am, one of the new neighbours across the court thought it would be bright idea to hammer something.  I called out what time it was and to give it a break... they did for 5 seconds and started up again.  I called out again what time it was and told them to shut up!  This time they stopped alltogether.  This was because I had finally gotten some solid sleep - and my body was recovering from the heat yesterday - and somebody thought it would be good to start something noisy (besides a car leaving to go to work; which doesn't bother me, as you get used to those noises).

Today, I was out and about.  I was feeling very blah... very ordinary... but I wasn't feeling anything as bad as I was last night.  When I returned home, I took another two Gastrolyte pills and within two hours I was feeling great!  I was also very, very hungry - starving actually - and had to say to a friend online that I needed to get some food into me; as it was the first time in over a day that I actually wanted to eat.  I ate a snack and then cooked up my home-made fried rice and scoffed into a huge serving of that... and I'm still starving.  This is a great sign... I'm on the mend, but I'm now very tired and still have to catch up with lost sleep.
When Mum called earlier this evening, I told her what happened, and she was worried.  She said that the best thing for heat exhaustion is to just drink fluids; no food.  But she's happy I'm feeling a lot better... and said that if I can survive this, I can survive pretty much anything.  So, I'm glad about that.  She also said that I did everything right - from taking a cool shower, drinking my Gastrolytes, drinking sugary drinks and eating cool foods (when I could) and lots of water - it was right... my body just had to mend.  Thankfully today was a lot cooler.
Well, tomorrow is supposed to be cooler still with a few showers... let's hope.  We really do need the rain to green up our lawns.  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment