Wednesday, July 18, 2012

First Day - Shopping

Today is the first day I've had to myself since I finished my Altered Book.  It's amazing that I began it around 2 weeks ago and just last night I completed it.  It drove me nuts, was always wet and now, it's finished and it looks and reads amazingly well!  I can't wait to show it at the Home Festival at Pineapple Park, Kangaroo Point this Saturday (which I hope is still on as I haven't received an e-mail advising me that it's postponed to another date).  
Well, my shopping day turned out to be something which made me feel like a yo-yo!  I was in and out of my house like a blue-arsed fly and my poor little budgie didn't know whether I was coming or going.  But the first place of call was The Big Apple down the road to pick up my fortnight's fruit and veggies.  Now, normally, I get this stuff from Woolworths, but this week, I wanted to see how much it would cost me to get it from this place instead.  And you know, the price was $20 cheaper than one of the bigger stores!  Brilliant!  So, I brought it all home, unpacked and dumped it all in the kitchen and took off again to catch the bus to Triple C at Logan Central to find my next major thing... a bird cage.
Now, as many of you know, I have a sweet little bird who is - most of the time - just a little social butterfly in my house.  She got a nice spacious bird cage that she has marked quite well as her own; and I have been considering getting her another and thought it bad idea.  Anyway, I also have had problems with possums munching away on my Geraniums in my garden.  I only have one Geranium plant, but it has yet to get any leaves on it because of pesky possums sneaking in at night and eating every last one of them before they even become anything looking like a plant.  So, I hunted from one charity store to another looking for a bird cage - without success!  Then, I asked Woolworths and K-Mart and they didn't have any either.  So, I went to Dollars & Sense and came up with this wonderful bird cage to protect my sweet little plant from their paws and taste buds.  What I didn't consider was that I had to drag this around Coles with me to finish off my shopping.  I had all kinds of people complimenting me on my bird cage, from the ladies at the chemist to the guy at the checkout, then there was a little girl who had arrived at the cab rank with her Mum and she jumped out of the cab and said I had pretty bird cage, then pointed it out to her Mum.  How sweet is that?  The little girl asked if I was getting a birdy.  I said that I already have one, but this cage is for a plant in my garden to keep possums from eating it; and she laughed, thinking it was a joke. 
I got home at around 1pm, not a bad day out.  Seeing I don't have to be sitting at the kitchen table to work on my artwork or paint or glue anything I'm kinda pleased about being able to hang out on here for a little while until around 3pm or so.  I don't feel so stressed out... and I know I won't be crashing so much at night after this.
But I do have a house full of food now.  And that's great.  I love shopping day all because of that fact.  It makes it so that I'm free to do all that I want to cook and eat everything because I want to prepare it whenever I want to.  Yeah, shopping day is always fun for me as I get out of the house, away from the unit complex and I get to see things I don't normally see, and that's great.  What do you love about shopping day? Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you have finished your book you must post a pic...I bet it is wonderful.
    I meant to tell you how much I like your self portrait I think you have the makings of a very good artist, my brother is a painter full time and if we can ever get to talk over email I will send you a link of his art it is colourful abstract stuff in oils, he just got into a Art Comp.. a very hard one to get into.
    I hate grocery shopping with a passion, although I agree with you that it is a real sense of achievement after you have done it and put everything away !
    Now Charity Shop shopping is different I love that.
    I would say that like you 90% of my clothing is from Op Shops the rest like undies and things also like you, I buy from Best and Less.
    I live in a very small town so I go shopping or looking on the Net, but I can't afford as much as I would like, my great passion is vintage jewellery, and that's not cheap.
    I buy most of my books either on sale or from The Friends of the Library Society on the Gold Coast where you can buy a huge bag of used books for $10.00 I often buy 6 or 7 bags of books when I am there, and yes I would say I read most of them, I learnt to speed read when I was a kid.
    When ever I have time on average I can read a medium sized book a day.
    I have to stay out of the shops now-days, we [partner and I] don't have as much money as we used to and as I am a hopeless spendthrift it is best if I don't see anything I want at least for the time being.
    I am glad for you that you are shopping in a fruit and veggie shop, it will be good to save a few dollars for your projects, we try to do that too, but it is not always possible in a small town, Woolworths and Coles have had far too much power for far too long.
    Your enthusiasm for small things like shopping and cleaning your house has given me the incentive to do the same, so how good is that? you get to see that all your blogging has helped at least one person in life skills !!
    Cheers Stell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's because I was brought up the old-fashioned way by my folks and my Grandparents ... it's always good when you have them in your life as you learn so much from them.
      And when I do go out shopping, I remind myself of one thing: I don't have to spend all my money, just enough of it to get by. If I have some left over, well, I'll put it away as I will need it sooner rather than later.

      I'm also trying to save up to get more plants for my garden... for phase two of my garden. This will take time; but I hope I'll be saving again soon.

      Delete
  2. is the type of person who dislikes shopping. You have to understand when you have kids, they are always on your toes at the shops. They don't seem to have the understanding on how to save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true that is! A couple of weeks ago - just before school holidays started up again - I went out shopping and ran into an African lady who had 4 kids under the age of 10 who were running her ragged! She kept calling they stupid when they didn't do as they were told... when we got to the checkouts and she was behind me (by pure chance), her kids were still acting up and I said 'I bet you're looking forward to next Monday, right?' she smiled and said, 'Oh, you bet!'

      Delete