Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Race That Stops A Nation!

I was up by around 7am, had the hot rollers plugged in and switched on, the rechargeable batteries plugged into another plug and charging and I was half-dressed and in a dressing gown so I could go and eat breakfast.  After I put my hair in the hot rollers, I wrapped a scarf around and tied it up, then went to have breakfast and fed the pets.  I took my time eating and listened to the radio while the curlers cooled down completely.
Then, too soon, it was 9:30am and I was off upstairs again to get dressed and put on make-up and shoes and take the curlers out of my hair.  Yep, I looked pretty dumb with them in, but once out, the results look good.  I was ready for a while and sat around and waited for the phone call to meet Mum and Dad out the front.  But instead of being bored, I visited next door and chatted with them for a while.  It's nice to see them some days and catch up.

Soon the phonecall came through I was offWe drove to the TAB at the Logan Central Tavern where there was nobody there to help us with placing a bet; unlike at Springwood.  Dad hadn't thought of that, but it didn't matter, the ladies at the counter were very helpful and laid our bets for us instead.  I put down a lot of money on my bets all up and so did Mum while Dad waited for us.  This is our yearly flutter; and we enjoy it.  
The next port of call for us for the day was Lime Light Restaurant at the entertainment Centre.  This place was full as anything last year; but this year, it was almost empty with only 3 tables filled up.  there was also a grand piano in the corner and a pianist playing up some great music for a few hours before the race and while we were eating our lunch.  The music was all stuff we knew too... which was great and it was all the musician's favourite music too; which is always a plus.
The lunch was delicious.  I had a vegetarian lasagne with chips and a salad while Mum and Dad had chicken salad.  There was complimentary wine/champagne on arrival and for dessert we had Tiramisu.  Mum bought us coffee after the race and that's when they drew the sweeps.
We went into the sweepstakes and spent some money.  However I only got back $4.00, Dad got back $12.00 and Mum nothing.  At the TAB, I won $15.70 and Mum won nothing... so it was a good day for me.  Before we left the restaurant, every lady who was there received a little potted plant - of a Begonia or another little plant - and the men received a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine.  How lovely to receive something for the day.
I didn't have much for dinner - just open sandwiches and some chocolate with green tea for dessert.  But it's been a good daySo, how did you go today?  Did you lay any bets just for today?  Or aren't you a betting person?  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.      

No comments:

Post a Comment