Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I've had a good day today.  And being Halloween, it's always bound to be something weird going on.  But first, I pulled out the pumpkins I've been saving up on top of my fridge and carved them up.  They took around an hour or so to do in my back yard and I totally enjoyed making a mess seeing I didn't really have to clean up all that much.
Meanwhile, my neighbours, Sharni and Luke cleaned up their place before going out to Centrelink.  While they were out, I pulled out all my Halloween stuff and prepared my house for tonight.  Then, I received a phone call from the antenna people - who I had called earlier that day - and they said they were going to be at my place just after lunch.  About half an hour before they arrived, my neighbours returned home and I checked my letterbox; and before long, they were here to do the work.
It took about 2 hours to check out the units, including the reception, the antenna, wiring and allThey replaced the antenna with an Australian-made one, put it up higher and anchored it better then worked on the wiring and fixed it with an internal booster so that the signal was stronger.  What used to be in range of 4 - 10 ended up being in the ranges of 40 - 50 by the end of the afternoon.  They were great people to work with and very professional too, tidying up after themselves too.  And the signal on my television was great!  And my neighbours are very happy with the results too.
Anyway, at around 5pm or so, I put out the pumpkins, lit them, hung up the scary skull on the door and turned on my front light - to show my house was open for any scarily dressed kids for Halloween were welcomed - when Luke's Mum walked around to see my pumpkins when Sharni and Luke.  They were amazed at how great they looked all lit up and Sharni took a photo.  Luke's Mum took a good look at me and asked if I lived around Runcorn way and I said I had; but it was yonks ago when I was 24 years of age and had moved out of home for the first time and I only lived there for 6 months.  She mentioned two names:  Dan Humpheries and John Barber... and I jumped, I couldn't believe she had known them.
Well!  We talked for over an hour about everything!  She was amazed at how much I knew about Dan and how little I knew about John.  It was fun.  Sharni and Luke thought I might have hit it off with John, but I said we only saw each other as brother and sister; never anything else.  And now he's at Forest Lake with a woman who pushed all his friends out of his lifeBut it's so good to catch up with somebody from my past.
After we chatted, we had a few laughs about people and school and what people thought of us when we went to school; and Luke and Sharni laughed at what kids thought about me... and also thought what I said were great comebacks.  I said that after a while I got used to thinking fast and it was almost second-nature.  And being a writer did help a lot.  
Even though I got not a single kid in costume knocking on my door this Halloween, I'm so happy I was able to catch up with an old friend from the past.  What's even better is that her son is living next door to me with his girlfriend.  It's so good to know we all get along so well to stay as friends.  Well, until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.       

No comments:

Post a Comment