Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Happy International Left-Hander's Day!

Yep!  There's a day for being a southpaw!  And guess what?  I'm one of the 10% of the population who are a lefty... so don't put me down about it.  Only kidding ya!

I've got a brother, Mum and my niece who are all left-handed and Dad is the only right-handed person in my direct family.  My brother's partner is also right-handed.  And to make things even funnier, Mum, my brother, Gabe, my niece Riley and I all I have red hair!  Very cool!  

But being a lefty hasn't always been fun.  I've had to put up with smudged handwriting in school, right-handed tools when fixing my car, right-handed electronics at the bank when I had to sign something and the pen is attached for right-handed people.  However, I have found that I'm not the only one who struggled with these problems.  My family home was set up for my Dad and yet he lived with three lefties... strange that.
However when I moved out on my own, I kitted up my place to be left-hander friendly.  All the stuff in my kitchen is exactly where it would be for a left-hander; and my brother noticed how easy it is to find things, so did my Mum.  They love getting around in my kitchen as it's so easy to lay their hands on the things they need to use.  

Also, being a lefty, I'm a creative kinda person too.  I'm a writer and an artist; however the last thing came later when my Epilepsy kicked in again (a medical condition I was born with, which we have found out in the last year is genetic).  But I have used my artistic abilities in more ways than one.  My writing is developing well, and so is my painting, knitting and I'm learning to crotchet.  I've also been getting in and doing up my garden and fixing up things in my kitchen too.  But then, I don't have to be a lefty to do any of this; however, we have some very talented left-handed people in my family, including my Mum, my older brother and Riley.  We are all musical, love to draw, paint and write creatively and yet it's something our right-handed counterparts don't take as much pleasure in doing themselves.  They're more readers and quiet kinds of people than we are. 

So, do you know any great, creative left-handers?  If not, here is a list of them for you to have a look at. And if you'd like to know more about lefties, here's another link to more facts on us!  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm (or cool) and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment