Sunday, January 3, 2010

An Extended Few Days In Paradise!

Yesterday, my sunburn killed. Yesterday, I was hurting like hell... last night, I was having really weird and unusual dreams (no it wasn't the heat of the sunburn; it was the fruit cake I ate before going to bed; does it every time!).
Today, I wasn't feeling like I was a boiled ham; and my skin isn't so red either. I finished 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury last night and found it a fantastic read! And now, I'm getting my nose into 'Under The Dome' by Stephen King; and there's so much about it that reminds me about 'The Stand' it's not funny! So, I'm enjoying it to the point that I'm getting a good giggle out of it every now and again when he mentions something about another book in it.

Today, Gabe and Katrina had to go home; picking up Jay(Katrina's darling dog) on the way through Caberetta. Unfortunately, that darling pet wasn't allowed in the hotel here at Brunswick and she also wasn't allowed in Massey Greene either; which is a pity because Jay is so well-behaved. Anyway, Gabe went for a snorkle in the cold high tide waters around the 7-wall and the boat-filled waters of Massey Greene's beach area before the boat harbour where there's a few trawlers, some yahts and catamarans moored there.
The other night, around 3am, I was woken by an almighty growling engine. It sounded like a boat was burning out. I frown, rolled over and went back to sleep. A few nights later - on NYE in fact, I was told that the horrible noise I heard from the darkness of the river was a trawler trying to get out to the bar to go prawn fishing. It had gotten caught on a sand bar on its way out, had to turn around and come back without being able to make it past the 7-Wall! How horribly embarassing it must have been for the skipper of the trawler the next day to tell people what happened the night before!

Today, though, we've had beautiful, Brunswick weather. After a few showers this morning, the clouds cleared and the sun shone through, clearing the gorgeous tropical blue skies; and the tangy sea air blowing in from the Pacific Ocean. We had our breakfast at around 9am and I walked down to the beach to find a guy had a bird in his hands in the water; it had been swimming with just its head out of the water, so he grabbed it to see if it was in trouble. While he held it and its head, I checked its feet and legs - fully extending them out and pulling the toes apart to make sure they were free. We found nothing wrong with its legs, so we thought it may have been exhausted from its long flight from the southern states.
Earlier this morning - around 8am or so - I was opening up the back of the
annex for the fresh morning air to get through and cool the place down when I stepped outside and found a baby bird sitting on the shade mesh. He still had downe feathers on him and was calling out to his parents; and of course I could stand really close to him... and did the stupid thing of touching him! I didn't even think that I shouldn't have until I came in contact with him... how silly of me! Once we touch a wild bird, their parents won't feed them anymore. However, this one was being taught how to fly and feed itself; so that was the fortunate thing about this. He spent a good part of the day in a tree out the back of our van jumping from branch to branch and calling out.

When we saw off Gabe and Katrina (but not Riley as she's staying with us for a few days), we were walking back when I looked into the sky and saw what I could only describe as a Cloud Rainbow. It was so pretty and gorgeous that I just had to take a photo of it! It's as though a heavenly artist grabbed a watercolour brush and smudged the colours just so with the wrong colours; and said: "Oops! Wrong one!" then tried to correct it; by making it more beautiful! As the winds carried the clouds along, more colours came out and smeared along the sky. I've got plenty of photos of them, and will upload them when I return home.

Well, Mum and Dad are out tonight... which means, Riley and I are making Nachos for dinner tonight! Yummo! We may even do some drawing and reading; then off to bed so we'll have a good day of adventures, artistry and books tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment