Monday, December 17, 2012

A High Tech Christmas

This year, it's the most hi-tech Christmas around.  Well, I've noticed this anyway.  In the past, I haven't really because I don't have so many things that are all that hi-tech surrounding me - well, not until I got my iTouch4 from Apple.  After that, I was all hi-Tech about my shopping list, games, songs/music and anything else I wanted to do.

However this year, I've noticed so many kids are wanting so many things that are hi-tech and all the old-fashioned things are disappearing.  Okay, I'll give a few examples for my younger readers.
In 1984, Dad set up a video camera and taped one of our Christmas Days.  I was young and my voice sounded like I was pixie.  The best thing I received that year was a red Papermate Pacer. My brother got a white one - I think - or maybe it was black.  These weren't cheap back then and were the big thing to have - the hip thing to have - in your pencil case at school.  Within days of the New Year at school, mine was stolen.  
Other things we got at Christmas were just simple things.  I loved getting books - and still do - so I can read and re-read them; knowing who put themselves out to find them for me and buy them with their hard-earned cash.  I'm also a very practical person.  I love getting things that I can use around my house.  I know that sounds weird, but I find that if I can't use it, I end up giving it away.  So, I have a house full of collections that are useful collections - handbags, coin purses, books, vinyls (all useful things) - and I love to get more of them.  
Hi-tech stuff - really hi-tech stuff - doesn't interest me too much.  Yeah, like I said I have an Apple iTouch, but I don't stuff around with it at parties or during Christmas Day; because I'm not there to stuff around with my iPod, I'm there to spend time with family.  So when I arrive at these occasions, I put it away - unless my niece asks to use it, then I pull it out and let her have a go as she loves all things like it.

But going hi-tech doesn't really prove anything to anyone.  It only proves that we're become more self-involved, more addicted to a computer screen, less family orientated and less familiar with our own peers in the house we live in.  I don't see why we should be so connected to the internet and computers when we could just be together in the one room listening to some music, enjoying a great meal and chatting about what we did during our weeks; instead of tweeting, updating our Facebook status or e-mailing our friends (who most of the time we don't ever get to see).  Besides, with the end of the world just around the corner, we'll be without technology soon enough - won't we?   

No comments:

Post a Comment