Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Back to the Doctors

I haven't been well lately - as some of you know.  However, since the last time I wrote, I've gotten rid of the Sinus Infection and it's been replaced by a horrible cough.  At first the cough was just dry and irritable.  However, since last Saturday, this cough has worsened to resembling a fog horn.  
So, yesterday, I took off to the doctors again to see what I could do about it; as I have big plans for this weekend.  I have been invited to a 'P is for Pregnancy' party for some friends of mine who are expecting their first little one in December.  However, when the doctor heard me cough, she was concerned about me.  I said that I thought I might have Strep Throat again - as I lose my voice at night and cough a lot and yet it's dry.  But when she checked my throat, she said I didn't have Strep; instead it sounded more like the early stages of Whooping Cough and she wanted me to get tested for it.
Seeing QML (Queensland Medical Laboratories) was next door to doctors' surgery, I went straight away and got the test done.  However, it wasn't as straight forward as a blood test.  This test is gross and very uncomfortable.  It's a swap up your nose... seems simple enough, right?  Wrong.  You have you head tipped right back and the nurse puts a long swab up one of your nostrils and to the back of your sinus' to wipe a bit of your skin cells from the back of your throat to see if you you've got Whooping Cough.  The results take about 2 - 3 days to come back.  But I'm telling ya, that's the most uncomfortable and disgusting feeling when somebody puts something like that up your nose!  And everyone seems to make a 'naggh' noise when it's happening... well, do you really blame me?
Anyway, today, Mum and I chatted about how her birthday went yesterday and she said I sounded terrible.  I told her about the test and she agreed it's not the most desirable test to have done; but then there's worse tests to get done than that one.  However it's best to get all tests done no matter what they are.  And seeing I have this darned cough, it's best to get on top of it now than later; the last thing I need is another problem with my health.  I don't mind getting tests done - after all, I've spent half my life getting them done - but really, I just wish I didn't get sick at this time of year as it really depresses me.  Well, I hope they find out what I have and can help me out with this darned cough.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment