Monday, September 3, 2012

I'm Sick!

I'm crook as a chook!  And I thought I was going to get through this change of season thing scott-free; but nope!  I went to the Logan Art Gallery and volunteered there on Friday and the guy I was supposed to be paired up with didn't show, instead another showed up and he wasn't all that well.  He had a runny nose and shared a large bag of chocolate-coated saltanas with everyone.  Normally, I'd say no... but they were something I've got a weakness for.  So, what did I do?  I took two handfuls of the darned things and got a cold from them because the guy who sat next to me with a sniffle.  

Well, today, after I had a weekend full of night sweats and almost no sleep, I found that this cold is viral... the doctors can't do anything for but let it run its course.  I hate it when they tell me that because it's going to get worse before it gets better. 
But what I do know is that what I've been eating is okay.  So, unlike most people who go and change their diet when they get sick, I'm going to make sure I eat everything I normally do every day I have this horrible thing.  But I've also gotten in and sanitised everything from doorknobs to remote controls to taps and my telephone with Glen-20; as I don't want it spreading around and I don't want it coming back on me.  And once I've used a tissue, I've been throwing it out.

I put my onion cough syrup onto my facebook page and a few of my friends wondered if it really works.  However, I reassured them that it does; as I've been using it for years.  One of my close friends asked me a few questions - through chat - about if it would taste like onions.  And you know, it doesn't.  It's actually very sweet; but it does have a strong onion smell to it.  So, if you don't like the smell of the vegetable, while it's raw, you might want to hold your nose as you take the remedy.  Otherwise, if you're not a Facebook friend of mine, here's the remedy:

Onion Cough Syrup

Ingredients:

1 Onion - chopped into small cubes
Sugar
Shallow bowl and cling wrap

Method:

Put the chopped up onion into the shallow bowl and liberally sprinkle the sugar over it.  It doesn't have to be any type of sugar.  You can use white, raw or brown, it will all come out the same in the end of this.  Sprinkle the onion until it looks like snow-capped mountains (about 4 tablespoons) and then cover with the cling wrap and put into the fridge overnight (6 - 8 hours).
The next day, before you do anything, unwrap it, get a dessert spoon the sip - not gulp - two of the dessert spoons of the syrup in the bottom of the bowl.  Don't eat any of the onion... it's not poisonous, it's just very strongly tasting of onions and it won't taste nice.  Keep to the sweeter syrup.

Throw out the contents of the bowl and make up another fresh batch of this every two days.  Due to the high sugar content, I've found it goes through me a little if I have it every day.  This syrup will loosen up your cough and help get rid of it sooner.

I hope you try this out soon and see if it works for you.  If it doesn't, don't worry, it's not for everyone.  And you don't have to like onions to do it (I don't eat onions because they burn my guts; and yet I eat garlic).  It's just the smell that may put some people off doing this one.  Have you got any home remedies that are tried and true that you have in your family?  If so, let us know about them.  Love to hear from you.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

2 comments:

  1. had the bad stages of flu for over a week! I was more infectious then viral and required two coarses of antibotics to get rid of two infections. During the time I was quite ill, I lost my appetite for food for afew days and didn't really have a taste bud either. The first couple of days of the virus, all I really did was sleep in short patterns throughout the day and night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really had that kind of thing... just a runny nose and phlegmy throat; which is easily fixed with the onion cough syrup. Otherwise, I'm sleeping normally and eating well.

      The doctors have told me that they can't give me anything for what I've got as it's a virus. Today, I'm feeling so much better - but it's also going to be a sit around and read day too as I've done a lot in the last few days. :D

      Delete