Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Few Hours Out & About

Today, it's been nice.  But the sun has vanished on us here in Brisbane, replaced by the cold breezes and Winter lows of the day.  
This morning, I got in and did some laundry while the sun was out, however by the time I was onto the second load, I noticed the cloud was coming over and moved it from the clothes line and onto the clothes horse under the deck.  I had plans to go out for a few hours today and didn't want to have my clothes wet if it rained while I was out.

Well, I did end up going for a walk late this morning - at around 11am - and I went to Electea Coffee House on the corner of Queens Parade.  Normally, this place is about 10 minute's walk, but it took me a good 20 minutes to get there and back.  But I did stay there for a good look-see for a few hours and for something to eat as well before I returned home.
While there, I shared a table with a lady and her daughter, Emily.  Emily wasn't shy in spreading herself out as she ripped open a new pack of children's cards and spread them all over the tiny table our coffee and food sat on.  She was funny.  The lady told me about a home business she was starting up called 'Nourish 'Em' where it was about feeding children - especially hers - organically-grown, fresh food and not packaged stuff.  I told her that I ate food that I made from scratch; which takes me hours to make... and it does help to not have a full-time job to really make it work out.  But having the time to work on the dinner really does pay off.
After the lady and her daughter went to the park, I had a good look around the store to find a few good things to buy.  I picked up a book called 'Waiting' and a vinyl with songs on it about NYC from the 1970's.  Then, I spotted a tea/coffee set in a corner where a mother's group was chatting away.  So, I excused myself and had a look at it; and found it amazingly beautiful... and I bought it for Gabe and Kat!  It was an Albanian Tea/Coffee set and the owner wrapped it up and bagged it for me.  After I paid for it, I thought it would be a good time to get in and have some lunch - so I did, ordering some eggs with spinach on Lemon Sour Dough bread... yummo!  And to add to that, I had a hot chocolate.  Very delicious.
By this time, the place was packed with customers who were trying to keep out of the cold and they were struggling to find places to seat them all comfortably.  So, by the time I finished my meal, another couple of customers were waiting to be seated.  I thanked the people who served me and the owner and was off on my way back to Nathan Street. 
Once back here, I wash up the tea/coffee set and have set it up on the end of the dining room table, so Gabe and Kat can see it when they arrive home on Saturday.  I can't wait to see what they say about it.  Well, that was my day out... and I'm really tired from all that walking. Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment