Friday, June 21, 2013

The Road To Recovery

Right now, it's pouring rain outside and it's cold.  I also smell like Lavendar Oil... but that's to keep infection away.  I've had a hell of week; and my Mum's been here at my place to help me through the pain of it, which I'm thankful for.  

On Tuesday, I was off to Greenslopes Hospital to get an ovarian cyst removed through keyhole surgery.  It was day surgery, and I arrived there to be admitted at 12:30pm, my surgery was at around 2:30pm and then I was discharged at around 7pm.  So, I arrived home at around 7:30pm.  Mum was there the whole time to take me home.  
But it was a good experience for me.  I felt well-taken care of and the nurses were wonderful and kind.  My blood pressure was low in the first recovery and so they gave me something to eat so I could be moved to the second recovery area.  And before I knew it, I was coming home.

But sleeping here at home on Tuesday night wasn't smooth.  The pain from the surgery was terrible.  I took painkillers, but they wore off at 4am.  However, as the days progressed, and I took it easy around my house, I found it easier doing things.  My right shoulder was hurting me like hell when I arrived home for the first 24-48 hours and now, it's four days later, and I have no pain in the shoulder at all.  However, I've had an IUD put in and there's some pain associated with that showing up.  So, I'm working through that too.  

And just late yesterday afternoon, I started to cook again.  I began cooking a Pumpkin, Walnut and Spinach Cannelloni and finished it up completely... and Mum loved it.  Then, this morning, I cooked up pancakes - with all the trimmings of fruit, lime & sugar and maple syrup and plunger coffee - and Mum and I had a wonderful breakfast together.  So, I'm on the mend - most definitely.
Last night, we stayed up, picked out a movie from my large collection and watched it.  It was good to stay up and get into that again.  But I was off to bed around 10:30pm and before I knew it, I had nodded off to sleep and Mum turned off the reading lamp of mine.

Today, I'll be on my own after Mum picks up the rest of her stuff.  She's had a few appointments during this week where she's had to leave me alone; but that's just something she's had to go and do.  I'm surviving okay.  I just find bending down and picking up things hard to do and tying my shoelaces pure hell and hurts my belly button with all the bending down.  So, all I've been doing it wearing my slippers for the last few days, no sneakers or lace-up shoes... not a good look really.

Anyway, I'm healing really well.  One of my friends advised me to get some Lavender Oil into my belly button wound to stop infection; and so I have, as she has had 4 of these keyhole surgeries done.  And out of the 4, two of them got infected and she found Lavender Oil helped with the infection and healing.  Well, that's my news updated about this week... a lot has happened.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here. 

1 comment:

  1. is glad to hear your surgery went very well and you are now home again to recover. You are one lucky person to have your mum to look after you for a couple of days after surgery. Lavender Oil is very good for alot of things.