Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Busy Morning But Lazy Day.

This morning, I was up with the birds... it was such a warm night that I slept with just the sheet on and kicked off the blanket.  At around 4am, the rain poured down and cooled of that part of the morning and in my stupor, I pulled the blanket onto me as the cool breeze blew the curtains inward and onto my bed.  When the alarm went off, I kicked off the blanket again and dozed for that hour until I decided it was time to get up at 7:40am.
But it wasn't time for breakfast yet.  I looked outside and made a big decision.  I had looked at the garden yesterday and thought to get my butt into gear and fix up some of the plants before this Spring heat really got the plants growing. 
So, I pulled on my flip-flops, pulled the green shade cloth from the fence and tossed that to one side.  Underneath that were about five pots that had nothing in them; yep everything was either dead, dying or growing weeds.  So, I pulled the weeds out and the dying plants and threw them over near the gate.  Next, I grabbed the Frangipanni and the large, green, square pot and dug a hole in the centre of the pot, pulled out the plant and carefully placed it just off centre and filled it in.  This little darling has a heck of a root system, but will flower this year with the extra room I've given her... however, I will have to repot after Summer's over and it's back to a stump again next year... damn!  I'll just get a massive pot and leave it in it.
then, I grabbed the plant next to it and found it didn't have any room to expand either.  So, I grabbed another big pot and dug a hole in the dirt in that too.  Pulling out the Small Leaf Jade from the old pot was harder, because it had wrapped its roots around and around so tightly.  I had to really bump all that dirt off hard before repotting the poor thing.  Once I did, I watered both of the above plants in and put them back into their original positions.
Then, came time for the cuttings that had been sitting in the Jade's pot. I found some places for those in the old pots.  And they're looking good now.  I also found an old statue of Mozart I forgot I had... all toppled over and mouldy from me putting yoghurt on it years ago.  So, I cleaned him up after breakfast and put him in a place where he could be seen.
Also after breakfast, I grabbed the green shade cloth, pulled the sharp tack-like things off the edges, tossed them and piece of wood away and will be using the cloth for some temporary covering when I plant some Bok Choy and other plants for this Summer; where I'll uncover them during the day and cover and weigh down the cloth at night to keep the possums out.  A good idea until I get a proper green house purchased from my savings.
For the rest of the day, I've been on the net, watching the weather, listening to music and I do have plans to play the piano for an hour or so.  Then, there's a show I taped on ABC1 on Thursday night about music and how it's absolutely a part of our lives that we have it within us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment