Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Not My Forte

Have you ever had somebody tell you that something isn't their forte?  Yep, I thought so.  Well, I gotta say that housework isn't mine.  Okay, I can keep the bills paid, food in the cupboards, the budgie happy and laundry clean... but cleaning a house is something that I just can't seem to do.

There are parts of the place that I can do - like the gardening - where I love to get my hands dirty and repot plants, mow the lawn, clip back branches and really make the place look great.  But when it comes to cleaning the floors, dusting and washing up, I just cringe.  My mind doesn't work that way.  I don't mind doing it once in a while to keep some order in the kitchen, but I find that a tidy house is something that stresses me out so much that I feel sick.
I would much rather be reading a book out the front of my place with a cool drink and a hat on.  Or playing the piano to better my skills at the keyboard; or better still, painting something I meant to finish up weeks ago than doing a whole afternoon of housework.  It's just not the kind of thing that I would all relaxing or all that worthwhile.  Even when I put on music, I don't like doing all that work just to dirty the dishes again.  So, why does my Mum put so much importance on my house being so tidy? Is she so scared somebody's going to drop by?  I don't get visitors... unless is her or Dad.  My brother never comes here.
Actually, I once had the house tidy for him and invited him around when he was on this side of town and he said he didn't have the time.  I lost heart and have let the house slip again when Mum asked me to try and keep it tidy.  I just don't see the point when it's me and ... well... me.
I haven't had a boyfriend in six years and don't really have any intention of getting one anytime soon.  It's not that I don't like men, I just find that relationships are confusing, weird and just plain hurtful in the end.  It's something I'm not interested in getting into and they're messy in every way.
So, I'm trying to tidy up my house for my own well-being.  It may not be as tidy as most homes, but it's as tidy as it's going to get.  I'm still going to be throwing stuff out once in a while, but I think I'm going to be forever tidying up; and that's something I'll have to just deal with as it's just not my forte.

No comments:

Post a Comment