Thursday, September 30, 2010

September Is Something Different!

I've had the best month for a lot of things going right - and wrong; but I didn't let any of that bother me.  September has turned from being a month of being stuck in a book about the brain; to finishing the book... which was great!  And I found it the most inspiring book around.  It's 'The Brain That Changes Itself' by Norman Doidge, MD.  And what a man!  He's written about what doctors have suspected for over a century about the brain; but have been taught that the brain is hardwired, however, it's not... instead it's very plastic and can learn and relearn things through forming new pathways and turning them into highways through use.  Yep, our brain is very much a use, or lose it item of our body.
But that was near the end of this month.  At the beginning of the month, I found a big bag of books!  Honestly, it was so much fun!  There I was 15 minutes early for the bus and I saw this bag of books sitting outside somebody's house waiting for pick-up.  So, I dug in and looked!  And they were vampire romance and old-fashioned romance.  So, I picked up the bag and took them home.  What a find!  And in very reasonable condition too!
Then, on 3rd, September, Mum and I finally got the the Traffic Signaling Box finished!  We had to put a sun on the Top Hat section of it and that took four hours to get done. Once it was done, we looked upon it happily... and found it looked more complete.  And now, it really jumps out on dull days.  Mum said she'd love to do another one with me next year once I have another design approved.  Yay!
Father's Day came and I hadn't bought my Dad anything; and my older brother was out of town.  Dad felt a little left out.  So, seeing I couldn't get over to their place, I did a blog entry for him... and he loved it.  He thought it was straight from the heart and very well-thought out.  I said to him that it's there whenever he wants to see it; just look up the label of 'Father's Day' and it'll be there for him.
I tried to get back into The Big Tidy-Up again, but failed... my allergies began to kick in and I felt terrible.  So, I thought to do what I could and see how far I got... which wasn't far, I tell ya now.  Anyway, I thought to write a blog entry about how living in a spotless house wasn't my forte and it found it funny how it was so easy to write.  My allergies are still bothering now.
Before we knew it, it was Mum's Birthday.  So, I did a lovely blog entry for her... and she loved it.  Then the next night, we all took her out for dinner at the Vietnamese Restaurant in Chinatown in Fortitude Valley.  It was great!  There was the Moon Festival that was being celebrated where they were playing drums and dragons were running and dancing around the Chinatown Mall... but we didn't see the dragons; however we did see the costumes.  The sounds of the drums were amazing though.  They vibrated through the floor and walls of the restaurant during our dinner; but had stopped by the time the bill had come around, we had sung 'Happy Birthday' to three different tunes and ended up getting a slice of birthday cake from another table, just for getting it right. 
Otherwise, I didn't do anything too outrageous or different this month.  I planted some Bok Choy; which I'll need to buy some beer for... to keep the slugs from eating (yep, they love getting into the booze).  Otherwise, I've had a rather sedate month. Next month might be a little more exciting.  Until then, take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment