Monday, September 6, 2010

Spring Has Arrived.

At long last, the weather has become warmer and the rains have arrived here in Australia; and about time too!  About a week and a half ago, I was woken up  by Kookaburras cackling their noisy heads off at 2am in the morning; thankfully it was over a weekend and I didn't need to be anywhere the next day.  But while I waited for them to settle, I remember thinking that we had some major rain coming if they were laughing away at night to let us know.  And sure enough, over the weekend, we copped some pretty heavy falls.
On Saturday night, we got around 10mm of rain and that was after I cleaned up the yard and repotted three or four plants and put away the shade cloth.  What a relief I did that!  And then, yesterday, it rained on and off all day and was dull and dark as well.  But it really came down after the sun went down.  And this morning, I checked the rain gauge and found we had gotten 20mm of rain overnight.  What a good lot of rain we had gotten; and I was grateful I didn't need to water anything.
But my weekend didn't just consist of checking the rainfall gauge.  Mum and I finished the Traffic Signaling Box on the Friday afternoon.  And it was just as well; as we're in for more rain this week.  I uploaded the photos on Friday afternoon and called them, but got their answering service; so I left a message.  Then, on Saturday, I fiddled around on the net all day and did some writing.  It's not often I get into my writing; but then, it also means I miss out on playing the piano or reading.  
So, on Sunday - which is Father's Day here in the Southern Hemisphere - I found it was a very wet day.  I hadn't prepared anything for Dad.  I didn't know where my brother was and Dad sounded a little upset on the phone when I called to wish him a Happy Father's Day.  So, I wrote the post below and sent him the link to it via e-mail.  Then, I called them and told him to have a look at it.  A few hours later, I checked on the blog and found he had read it and left a comment.  He really loved what I had said and said it was heartfelt and wonderful.  
For the rest of the afternoon, I practiced the piano for a little over an hour (mainly chords, keys and arpeggios and less of the songs) and then I read about 10 pages of a book I'm getting into titled: 'The Brain That Changes Itself' by Norman Doidge MD.  It's a wonderful way of learning about how the human brain can be manipulated and changed through us reteaching it new things over the old things we've been taught when we were younger.  Once I get my nose into the pages, I normally can't get away from it.
Last night, I made a very delicious spaghetti dish and watched 'Robots' on 72 and then 'Castle' while I washed up, put out the compost and locked up the house against the constant downpour of rain.  At around 11pm, I went off to bed.  It was a good night for sleeping; as I didn't read much and easily fell asleep.
I awoke to a nice sunny day today.  The house has been opened up and the light and warmth is being let in.  There's going to be more days like this in the future where the Spring/Summer breezes will cool the unit down and we'll get some lovely weather to do some serious gardening.  Until then, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment