Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Grocery Shopping

Today, I went out shopping with Mum and Dad's assistance.  They hired a wheelchair from the chemist down the road from them and picked me up.  This was a first for me - ever - to have this much help when it came to my shopping!  But it had to be done.  
As they arrived, it poured rain!  That'd be right... just as I was about to leave the house, I get wet and have to try and run to the car when the doctors ordered me not to do any kind of exercise.  Well, I made it to the car and hopped my way into the front seat without getting too wet and we were on our way; firstly to the post office.  Dad checked my PO Box and I found I didn't have any mail.  So, that was good - no mail, no bills.
We drove to Woolworths at Logan Central and parked underneath where it was nice and dry.  However, we though we might not find a park; but we did.  There were plenty of spaces to spare!  Mum picked one and the chair came out, I plonked my butt into it and we were on our way to shop at Woolworths for my fruit and veggies.  It didn't take long and we found there were a few things I couldn't get because they were going out of season; never mind.  It happens.
Once we were done there, we were back in the car and drove to Logan Central Plaza where we parked and I was back in the chair again.  But there's no undercover carpark here, so we had the weather to contend with and huge puddles of rain water across the carpark.  Dad and I jay-walked across the road, made it across to the footpath and Mum came up to us and said that a bolt fell out of the chair and handed over a long bolt to Dad... hmmmmm... wonder where that came from?  So long my butt didn't suddenly fall out of the chair I was happy.
Dad was off to the toilets while Mum and I went to Woodys' Music Store to pay off a layby.  Stephen served me and asked exactly what I did to end up in the chair; then laughed about how I broke my toe; especially when Mum said I was drunk! Hahaa.. gotta laugh at it really.  I paid off my layby and we went outside to wait for Dad.  He soon caught up with us and we walked down to Coles where he and I waited for Mum (as she was off to use the Ladies' loos).  And soon enough, she was with us and we were off going up and down the isles of Coles grabbing things off the shelves and getting into the serious grocery shopping.  I stuck by my list and made sure I bought only what was on there.  I did forget a few little things and added them to it; but I ended up coming in under budget.  How cool is that?  We also avoided anymore rain by walked up through the complex again to get to the car.  I had more people who worked at Coles who knew me as a regular customer ask me what happened and I told them quickly.  They hoped I was back on my feet again quickly.  Dad commented that a lot of people knew me; and I said that I always shopped there and so they got to know the regulars.  It's good to know that I'm one of them.
Well, now I'm home, the shopping has been put away and one of my friends has been around for a visit.  She asked how it all went today.  Truthfully, I'm tired from the outing and the half hour it took to put all my groceries away with just one good foot to lean on.  Otherwise, it's been a good day.  I will be sleeping well tonight.  Until my next post, take care, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment