Sunday, August 15, 2010

Busy and Lazy

Sunday being Sunday, it's a lazy day for me.  I'm also a little bit sore from the painting session yesterday at the TSB.  Mum and I were there at 11am and we set it up as though we were old hands at it.  It didn't take long for us to attract attention from motorists and people on foot; after all, it was the last day of the EKKA and everyone was out and about doing what they do on the weekends.  And Mum and I wanted to do as much as we could on it before our last session.
We made sure it hadn't been tagged - and it hadn't - and then we pulled out some templates I had designed for this thing and began drawing on the blue background.  It didn't take long for the design to take shape.  Then, came the mixing of the colours and I followed the mixing chart on the inside of the lid.  It was wonderful and simple... and Mum and I also fell back on our basic art skills from high school.  She was surprised to learn that not a lot of the teachers in the art department were into teaching a person of limited artistic skills how to mix colours, draw or get better at art; whereas Mr. Brown (the head of the Art Dept. was the only art teacher who saw it hiding in me yet to be discovered).  Mum was surprised about that.  
I ran across the road to the toilets and to pick up a drink and
saw a 1960 Thunderbird!  And what a car!  It was on the back of a car trailer heading from Byron Bay to Rockhampton.  I loved its colour and its style.  The whole thing was in original condition, right down to the leather on the seats... the owners were like new parents with a child.  And I asked if they could stick around for a little bit while I got my camera from across the road to take a few photos of it for 365project.  They said yes, and I was off to the Pajero to drop off my drink and get my camera.  And soon, I was

back snapping away; and even got a great photo of the inside of it too!  It's a left-hand drive, from California, Cherry Red, automatic, two-door piece of history that's going to be a part of somebody's life as soon as they get it tidied up the way they want it.  
Dad dropped by with lunch and he stayed to eat pies and pasties with us.  It was nice to stop and rest for a while in the shade and get a better look at the TSB.  Dad suggested painting the parts that needed a new colour on them white before we mixed colours for them so the blue background didn't show so much; and we did and found it was a lot easier to work with.
Before he left, we watched helplessly as a tow-truck's brakes locked up and it came into the lights too fast down Kingston Road.  It looked like it was going to hit the back of a white sedan really hard; until the driver of that sedan took off through the intersection and through the red light!  A smart move, but also a gutsy one!  We all felt horrible that at how it could have worked out; and happy that the driver took that risk, fortunate that nobody had driven through or anything else had happened.
During the afternoon, we did notice that a lot of car horns were beeping at each other.  Mum said it was because the drivers were looking at what we were doing and forgetting the lights had changed.  I hadn't noticed it so much; but
found the road incredibly busy for a Saturday.  I guess I'm so used to living in the relative silence of my unit complex that I don't get to the riotous noise that is Kingston Road very often.
Well, we were packed up by 4pm and ready to go to sleep early.  Mum had washed out my brushes and we had taken photos of the TSB's progress... it's looking pretty good, eh?  I had a relatively early night - well early for me - of 10:30pm where I promptly crashed the moment the light went out.

Today, I hammered some palings back up onto the rotting fence, bought the paper and read some of it, talked to Little Miss Stevie, ate breakfast and hung out three loads of washing.  Then, I've spent a good lot of my day on here.  It's been a lovely day outside... but I'm not interested in being out there at all; not after spending a good long day out in it yesterday.
Tonight, I'll be having something and hot to eat for dinner and then another early night.  Tomorrow, I have some cleaning up to do and other things to get done before Tuesday - our last session at the TSB... I can't wait.  Until my next post, keep warm - or cool - whatever your case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment