Monday, August 30, 2010

Night Creatures

Last night, just as I turned off the light and snuggled under my duvet, I heard a Boo-book Owl.  I haven't heard one since about April.  It was the most gentle sound in the silence of the evening as I listening in the darkness and its calls lasted for about half an hour.  I thought it was the sweetest thing I had heard all night.  What a wonderful bird; and yet we don't see it during the day.  Happily, I went to sleep with the moon rising behind my curtain.
At around 4am, I was awoken by a flock of Kookaburras.  They laughed and cackled for a few minutes and eventually stopped.  This is the second time I've been woken up by them in as many nights.  I was woken up twice by them on Sunday morning at 2am and 5am.  The 2am flock were much closer to us than the second flock and so I wondered when we'd be in for the rain they were predicting.  And seeing we've heard them this third time, I'm sure it's going to rain this week.

We also have possums.  They can get pretty noisy as they fight over food and places to sleep.  I normally hear them run relay races along my carport roof... it's funny when they do that because of their competitive ways.  They also fight in the trees and long the fences.  But when we come out with some food - like a banana - they are all cute and fluffy and ready to play nice to get that fruit off us.  Or if they don't like us, they'll wait for us to peel it for them and they'll come during the night - while we sleep - and take it off the fence posts or the old plates we leave the food for them on.

What kinds of animals do you hear at night?  Do they wake you up or do you hear them early enough in the evening to see them in your yard?

No comments:

Post a Comment