Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cold Day Thursday

This morning, I really didn't want to budge from under the covers of my warm duvet;  but I had to go out and do a few things, and so getting up was a start.  After a hot shower, I fed Little Miss Stevie and made breakfast.  Then, I was off for the day.
I checked the mail to find I had won a double pass to see 'Salt' on 18th August; so I'm going to take Mum.  It ought to be great!  But it's in the city, so we have to get in there early to catch the show.  Anyway, I reckon it should be good.  I'll let you all know if it's a good movie or not; just like I did with 'The A-Team' and 'Inception'.  Well, I made it to the bus stop on time and froze there.  It was so windy and cold!  I really wanted to go home.  But still I had just a few things to get done.
Once at Garden City, I went to Heritage and got some money out; then was off to QBD to pick up a gift voucher.  I decided on which book to purchase straight away; and what a book!  I had to pay some extra cash to get it, but I don't mind.  It's 'The Brain That Changes Itself' by Norman Doidge, MD.  The main premise is about people who have either below average intelligence or brain damage in some way being able to work on themselves to increase their intelligence to the point their family and friends can see a marked difference.  It's called neuroplasticity and it's been know to work on stroke victims and people who have had major brain surgery as well as people with Autism and Epilepsy.  So, I bought the book and I'm hoping to read it soon.
Then, once I bought it, the lady who sold it to me commented on my hair and I said it was from my Mum's side of the family.  Then, I told her that I've always wanted to read this book because I've been able to change the way my brain works through reading; also that my teachers at high school told me that there was more to life than just school and uni.  she said that I had some great teachers looking out for me.  I agreed adding that I have learnt most of what I know through books and the internet.  And that the internet itself it a learning tool for me as well.  She was surprised.  Well, I said that I blogged and figured out how to get things onto the net and off my blogs and other ways of working things on computers through just reading the screen.
After I left QBD, I went to the bus stop and waited for the 555 to the Hyperdome.  It was running on time; but the wind was still freezing.  I got off at Springwood and headed off to the Springwood Wellness Centre to
pay my chiropractor bill.  After that, I found the most amazing bird; but I have had a look in my Field Book of Australian Bird and can't find him, her ... it.  This bird was in the tree next door!  Isn't it a lovely specimen?

I walked through Centro and perused Rockaways and purchased a lot of vinyls, took them back then kept one - 'Good Times' by Jimmy Barnes and INXS - which is on a 45.  So, I got a good deal.  The bus was late, but I got home... jeez it's been cold today no thanks to the wind!  And yet people still walked around in their Summer clothes acting as though they don't feel it.  I saw a teenager at Garden City wearing a skirt above the knee with a short-sleeved shirt on.  She had no stockings on or a jacket.  She shivered there at the bus stop... another lady on Park road got on the bus in a pair of shorts and a hoodie with a t-shirt underneath.  Are these people wanting to get sick, or just plain dumb?  It's a cold day people!  Keep warm.  I did... and I still felt the wind get under my collar.
Well, that's my day today.  Until my next post, keep warm - or cool - whatever your case may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment