Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Jingle Bells... Batman Smells...

Last week, I was at my local K-Mart looking at doing my last minute shopping for coming to Brighton.  As I walked into the store, I noticed something totally weird packed into the shelves... something  never thought I'd ever see in September... something that made me feel as though I had just stepped out of the Tardis and into some weird time warp.  

I saw that K-Mart had already unpacked their collection of Christmas Decorations, trees, cards and bits.  I kid you not!

This is the beginning of Spring, not Summer people, and stores are already promoting and decorating the stores with tinsel and wrapping paper.  Okay, I'm organising myself for Christmas, but I have yet to pull out the tree and kick around the box in the car port (in case some 8-legged nasties are inside it ready to jump out at me while I put it up - oh... stop laughing I know you do it too!).  Anyway, I wasn't the first one to complain about it to the people who worked at K-Mart.  Every supervisor, worker and assistant thought it was crazy and weird; and one check-out chick agreed with me in wondering where Halloween went to... with all the costumes and lollies that went into that celebration they could make a mint out of that time of the year with a little bit of education.  And other thing was that if store actually celebrated all three holidays of Halloween instead of just the first day, they'd have more fun with it.  
Like - for example - there's All Hallow's Eve, better known as Halloween.  This is the night were kiddies go around trick-or-treating.  It's a lot of fun.  And there's plenty people can do as well in the way of dressing up their houses, throwing Halloween Parties; so the adults aren't left out of the enjoyment.
Then, there's All Saint's Day.  The second Day of the 3 Day Festival of the Dead.  You see, Halloween isn't just one night... no... it's part of a three day fun-filled festival celebrating the dead and showing respect to them.  This is one of my favourite Sabbaths as a witch as it's also my New Years' Eve too. 
The third day is The Day of the Dead.  This day is brilliantly celebrated in Mexico where they have shrines set up of skeletons representing departed family members; to remember them (or so I've heard).  This day celebrates the dead for the whole day and isn't something to be mocked as people have been known to dress in black just for this day of the year to keep in connection with the dead to mourn fully for that day.

So, why have the stores put up Christmas decorations and trees when we haven't even had this brilliantly fun and exotically educational celebration as yet?  Why?  Well, it's because they want to ignore it... or is it because they forget that Christmas is also a Pagan holiday too?  Something to ponder isn't it? 

1 comment:

  1. In all the years I can remember, Christmas products have always been out on the shelves very early. I think it helps remind people to make a start with Christmas shopping early.

    ReplyDelete