Saturday, July 23, 2011

Busy Cleaning Friday

I decided to start my cleaning early this weekend; a day early, seeing I didn't have any other appointments or anything else to do and the weather had warmed up enough to open the windows of the unit and air out the stuffiness of Winter.  
So, once the windows were open, I put on a load of washing of all my calico bags and hung them all out and grabbed the broom and swept out the carport, front door stoop and out the back (moving the chairs out of the way).  I pulled out the stray bits of sick-looking grass and moss from around the brickwork and concrete around the hot water system; it made the whole back area look clean and nice.  Then, I got out some paper towel and the Windex and cleaned the kitchen window.  Once that was done, I went inside and pulled up the blind to clean the other side of the glass.  However, the blind's brake didn't hold and the whole thing had to be held up by me with one hand while I cleaned with the other.  After I got the glass cleaned, I called my landlord and told him of the problems I had with the blind and he said he'd look into it.  
After the phone call, I looked at the whole blind to make sure it would hold for the weekend (and hoped it would) and then found that the top of the fridge looked disgusting!  So, I pulled everything off the top of that and washed that down with a bit of Gumption and hot washing up water to get the grease off.  It took a while, but it was worth it.  I also washed up everything that was on top of it - the large pot and a set of containers too - so that it looked nice and clean.  Soon, everything was back on top and ready to be used again.
I took a break and had some Cranberry Juice and began getting the washing up together.  I changed the water and washed up as much as I could for the afternoon; but forgot to wipe down the counter.  I put everything back next to the fridge and folded up the 3-step ladder and sat it in the hall just outside the kitchen.
Then, I collected together the newspapers, sorted through them and found out which parts to keep and which ones to toss in the recycle bin; and did just that.  I then, sorted through the bills that I have paid on the kitchen table and put them into a pile and picked up the green bag full of paper that I had put off looking through for the last two months or so, got a rubbish bag and began looking through receipts, paid bills and mail that I needed to file.  I spent around an hour and half just reading and sorting and throwing out while listening to Santana's 'Lotus' (the 3rd vinyl) up loud with the lovely breeze coming through the window and the sun shining brightly.  Then, at around 3pm, I stopped and looked up at the clock.  I was tired; and the kitchen table looked like I hadn't done anything all day.  So, I put the rubbish bag on the floor, the shredable bag to one side and the pile of bills that have been paid next to it; and the table looked a bit more presentable.  
The house still needs a lot of work, but I've made a start.  I did get the lawn mowed and out the back looking a little more presentable yesterday.  And this morning, I cleaned the sliding glass doors - on both sides - before coming up onto the internet; along with all the glass on the front of the china cabinets, the television and the entertainment unit.  And I also wiped up from yesterday and put everything away in preparation for today's clean-up.  So, what have you gotten done around your place that you're proud of lately?  Is is a clean out or a piece of art work?  Is tidying up your car?  Or something else that you've done that's completely different (and not to do with cleaning at all)?  Leave a comment and let us know.  Until my next post, keep warm and safe and remember, I'm always here. 

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! Your place is lovely (both before and after). The photo of the sun coming through your front door is gorgeous.

    My son and I recently put landscaping fabric and mulch on the section of our front yard that's next to a 7-feet tall, unfenced retaining wall (I never let the kid who mows my lawn do that side because I'm afraid he'll get hurt).

    We put a 4' raised garden with flowers right next to the wall and two quarter-barrels with herbs along the curved walkway. I'm not currently equipped to post photos, but whenever I get a camera, I'll try to come back to add one.

    I also shredded and recycled tons of papers. This task is tough because occasionally you (generic "you") run into papers that remind you of past bad times, like hospital bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks Meg. This is the first time in a long time I've cleaned up - I must admit - and it feels good to sit down and go through everything I own and know what I want to keep and want to toss. It's a tedious job, but if I don't do it, who will?

    We're having a few nice days of sun and warmth; and it's just nice to have the front door open and let it all in. It's Winter here and seeing it all warm up the house is just lovely.

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I've still got some major cleaning to do upstairs with my bathroom and bedroom and home office to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on getting motivated to spring clean early. It's one thing I should be starting on but there is always something that copes up and I can't get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @craftynut: I always find that good catchy music that I love to sing and dance to is something that keeps me motivated. Normally, I pick out a set of vinyls and put them on and after a few hours, I've gotten a whole lot of cleaning done and lots of music played - all up nice'n'loud of course! :D

    ReplyDelete