Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Home-Office: Part One

Well, the home office is taking longer than I expect; as predicted.  I've done a lot with it so far and I'm damned proud of how far I've come with it (as I am with the rest of the townhouse).  I'm just amazed at how much crap one person can accumulate in 8 1/2 years!  And believe me, it's a lot!
I got off the internet at noon - as usual - and turned my chair around and just looked at my office!  What a mess!  I almost expected the cleaner from the Pro Hart commercials to come through the door and say that with a sigh; but she didn't!  Instead, I opened the door of my wardrobe and began unpacking it.  I was totally surprised to find how much I had crammed into this wardrobe; and didn't wish to cram it with this much crap again.  I needed it to be easily accessible and I wanted stuff to be found, not hidden to the point of embarrassment.
So, I took the two legs from my bedroom mirror downstairs where I found I had to unpack the storage facility to fit them in laying down and right at the front.  Then, I pulled out some of my brother's massive posters (which I tried to ask if he wanted them, but I've yet to hear back from him).  Anyway, he and I will talk about them tonight and see what he wants to do with them.  I won't do anything unless he says so.  I moved them to my bedroom wardrobe and laid them down at the back behind my box of journals.  Then, I took all the handbags off the doorhandles and put them on my bed and found out I had a set of rolled up posters that I had laminated but haven't used; the reason is because I don't have the space for them around here.
The set of plastic drawers were put into the wardrobe once everything was taken out - which included two pieces of luggage, a box of boxes which house my LOTR goblets and a large glassed-in print of LOTR which has to have the glass replaced - and three bags of macrame.  I put two briefcases of Grandpa's into the wardrobe, my Rollerblades - with safety equipment, minus the helmet - and my Christmas bag and Halloween bag (these bags house all the things I use for those times of the year).
I looked around, grabbed a rubbish bag and began sorting through a pile of rubbish next to the first bookcase at the door.  It was going really well.  I sorted into piles of books, notebooks and bookmarks, shredable and rubbish.  The notebooks are where they're supposed to be - so are the books and bookmarks and the rubbish is in the wheelie bin outside.  I went through each pile systematically and found my fair share of notebooks and a lot of printed up stuff I had written (which ended up in a 3-ring binder) and then I vacuumed up all the paper and crap as I went along.

By around 2:30pm, I put anything I didn't want - and was going to a charity - into an old IKEA bag outside the door, the rubbish was sat on the other side of the bathroom door, all my books had a place to live and I have found I have more floor space than I ever thought!  And now, there's only three bags to go through in front of one bookcase... and that's it!  after that bookcase, I'll have the room I need for this home office.  But that will be part two of the Home Office Clean Out.
Well, that's all from me for now.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment