Saturday, July 23, 2011

Saturday Clean-Up

Today, the Big Clean-Out continued!  Yep, I had a list and I was stickin' to it!  I found that list and found out what needed doing downstairs and pulled out the vacuum cleaner with all its attachments (yeah, after just tossing them into the storage unit willy-nilly, I actually found them laying nearby.  Funny how things happen like that).  I moved Little Miss Stevie to the screen door where there was a patch of sunshine for her to flaunt herself in and vacuumed up all the seed husks she had tossed behind the credenza from her beloved Millet.  What a messy little bird she is!  I even found a Chi Card I had been looking for behind here and picked that up with tongs before starting up the vacuum.
After I finished that, I did the rest of the room with the small attachment head so I got all the hair, seed, bird poo and bits of knitting yarn I may have dropped.  I also sucked up bits of newspaper and dirt and grass from me walking it all through from the back yard when I did some gardening last month.
then, I cleaned up the front door area - once Little Miss Stevie was put back in her right place and the front window was opened up to let in some fresh air.  And even she took part in the clean-up in her own way... Little Miss Stevie had a few bomb-dives into her bath and sat sorting through her feathers while I dusted and cleaned around her.  Then, I pulled up the inside mat and took it outside to bash it against the bricks and sneezed my head off while I was out there; leaving it outside while I vacuumed and dusted around the front door foyer area of the house; then I put it back where it came from (really, I need a new one).  Then, I did the internal staircase; got halfway up, then grabbed the hand-held vacuum to do the rest.  By the time I emptied it, I found so much more dirt and dust in the filter of that thing, it was unbelievable!  
Well!  That was the vacuuming done!  So, I got out the Windex again and cleaned down the back glass sliding doors and the entertainment unit, China cabinet and any other glass I could find downstairs before putting it all away and throwing out a lot of black paper towel that was once creme!  Yuk... and I'm breathing in all that pollution! 
Well, I looked at my list again and put on some music (yep, it always motivates me to do more around the house when there's a good solid beat of 80's music pumping through the speakers of my stereo).  Once 'Dark Side of the Moon' was on the turntable, I filled the sink up and washed up everything I could find around the kitchen - including the cutting board - and then I cleared the kitchen table and cleared off the bench.  I put most of the I had piled onto the bench onto the table and worked hard to clean the tiles and the bench; using Gumption to get the harder stains out.  Then, when I was happy with the first half of the bench, I sorted out what I needed and put it back, sorted out what I didn't need and tossed it out.  It was easier than I thought.  I did the same thing with the other half of the bench; but it took a little longer... this was because there was a lot more paperwork and I found so many receipts!  So, I sat down and went through them all one by one to make sure I knew which ones to shred and which ones I could just toss.  Then, I went through the little set of drawers next to the food processor and found there were a great many things in that I didn't need either (like a lighter - that works - and one that didn't; and a cigarette butt collector for smokers... now why would I want those for is beyond me).  So, I left those on the piano until I needed a break and walked down to Lisa & Betty's place to give them to them.  Betty thought the butt collector was a brilliant idea; and thanked me for the lighter.
My kitchen - before and after I took to it this afternoon! What a difference!
By this time, it was almost 4pm, I was stuffed and I had played around four vinyls; including Peter Gabriel's 'So', and RHCP's 'Mother's Milk' as well as the Pink Floyd one I played earlier.  After we chatted, we all went our separate ways and I began looking into getting something to eat.  I bought pizza for dinner and baklava (as a treat; which was delicious!) and I have enough left for tomorrow night's dinner ... yummo!  
So, there you have it... downstairs is almost finished.  Just little bits to be done before I finish up and get into doing the upstairs rooms... scary... me?  Doing the office.  Wow... I've half-done it, but getting all done is going to be the freaky part!  Stay tuned for that one (tune in the 'Twilight Zone' theme song... you never know what I may find in this here little room!).  Until my next post, keep warm and safe, and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment